Friday, April 11, 2008

Remembering the Holocaust

About 2 months ago we took a trip to Yad Vashem which is Israel's memorial museum to the Holocaust. I'm sure I don't have to tell most readers of this what a sad story the Holocaust is.

Our first week here, we went on a geography field trip, basically getting various views of Israel from all sides of Jerusalem. That was my first introduction to the walls built in the last 10 years by the Israel government to separate the Palestinian territories from the rest of Israel. A few weeks ago, we toured the walls up close. After talking with my classmates after, I realized I wasn't the only student who had striking images of ghetto walls from the Holocaust pop into my mind when I saw these walls up close.

I've been very hesitant to share this idea, but recently found that my observation is also shared with a Princeton scholar/UN Human Rights Council member named Richard Falk who is making headlines.

This is a very short but interesting situation.
**By the way it was purely coincidence how closely these pictures resemble each other. The first one was the first image under googled "holocuast ghetto walls."

No comments: