Thursday, February 7, 2008

Today I saw a t-shirt with this on it

Tuesday night, I listened to a forum here at the Jerusalem Center given by Stewart Tuttle, the spokesman for the US Embassy in Tel Aviv. In a more casual and less informed group than he normally speaks to (that being the hounding media), he was able to speak quite candidly and openly about US involvements here in the Middle East, including Bush's latest visit. Quite enlightening.

His optimism towards Bush's latest visit reminded me of the high morale felt by many towards a peace solution right at the end of Bill Clinton's tenure, 8 years ago. Seems a bit like deja vu. Which made me wonder if it is even possible for a US President to give as much focus in their earlier years toward a solution as Clinton and Bush have/are giving in their last years. Would the American people allow this?

DISCLAIMER: The following paragraph is Catherine's opinion...

I do believe that George Bush, indeed the most powerful man in the world, is personally and spiritually committed to helping this problem. While the US cannot be the main player in the peace process, I do think they have extreme clout and respect in "advising" a solution. And I think that both Abbas and Olmert agree. Despite doubt from the Palestinian I spoke with today in a camera shop outside the Old City who deemed Bush's visit a "failure," I truly hope his efforts succeed.

No comments: