Thursday, January 10, 2008

Here's one for you, Trump.

Large mansion atop Mt. Scopus, overlooks the Old City of Jerusalem with an unobstructed view of the Dome of the Rock, the Mt. of Olives and several other disputed and beloved religious sites.

This is the sunset I will be looking at every night for the next 3 and a half months when I stand on my balcony.

It's a bit ridiculous how nice my housing is here. In a city where real estate is probably more passionately contested and disputed than anywhere in the world, I am living in a 125,000 square-foot, 8-story building with arguably the best view of both the old and new Jerusalem. Do I feel lucky to be here? Yes. Do I feel like I'm cheating when it comes to having a pure cultural experience? Yes. Am I complaining? No.

Being constantly reminded of security issues helps me stay grateful for a safe haven to return to each day. In this picture, if you look very closely to the left of the sun, you can see a small blimp flying above the King David Hotel. This is the hotel chosen to house President Bush during his stay in Israel and the blimp is flown during times of political unrest. It has been has been up since we got here, which incidentally was the same day as George W.'s arrival.

Before I left, my dad replied to a concern of my mom's like this "Well I hope she experiences a dangerous situation." Don't worry, I haven't felt threatened here. Yet.

9 comments:

ELA said...

Wow! I’m so jealous. That is a beautiful view. Thanks for letting me know about your blog. I can’t wait to read about your many exciting adventures.

molly said...

It seems like this trip could be one of the most amazing things you could ever choose to do. Your 3 months are going to be like living in one big current event. I am excited for your posts!

brooke said...

hey parker!!!
that sunset is so beautiful! im jealous because i only get to see a beautiful view of snow every morning when i open my blinds...haha. oh, and i am living in a 3-story mansion with 50 million other girls! anyways, im so excited to read about your experiences! have fun!

brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dianne said...

Hey Sweetie,
Your blog is awesome! Thank you for making the whole experience you are having come alive for all of us. Your thoughts and insights are so powerful and make me feel so proud of you. Can't wait to keep reading. I love imagining you there. Keep on loving every minute.

Lauren said...

I am soooo happy that you have taken advantage of so many great opportunities with your time at BYU. I can't wait to keep hearing about your adventures in the Holy Land! Your blog is awesome...I'll send you an email about mine one of these days. Keep having fun & enjoy every minute of your time there!

Tanya Parker Mills said...

What a tremendous opportunity. Squeeze the most out of every minute of every day because, all too soon, you will have to bid farewell to those you've come to know and the places that have taken hold in your heart. Mom was right...listen and learn. And I'm so glad you're willing to share it with us through this blog.

Margot said...

That is such an amazing view. I am so glad you get to experience an amazing opportunity!

kara jayne said...

Catherine I am SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! My heart is literally aching right now after looking at that picture. I miss my time in Jerusalem and at the Center SO MUCH! It is the chance of a lifetime and I'm so glad you took it. Thanks for letting me re-live it here on your blog.