Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Western Wall & Garden Tomb (in less than 24 hours)



Friday night, I saw a huge wall that has been standing there for almost 3,000 years. 3,000.

Saturday afternoon I saw a tomb that has been there for at least 2,000 years.

The Western Wall (also known as the Wailing Wall) is the one remaining wall of Solomon's temple which was built in 966 BC. Today, many Jews make a pilgrimage to offer prayers at the wall, or as I saw on Friday night (with a LOT more people than are shown in the above picture), celebrate the coming of the Sabbath with passionate and robust singing and dancing.

To see something this ancient and influential can be quite a unique experience for most Americans whose everyday exposure to ancient architecture only extends to the 1700s if they're lucky.

Less than 24 hours after my visit to the Western Wall, I visited the Garden tomb, a site that is believed by many Christians to be the place where Jesus rose after his death. Many testimonies of Christ are founded and solidified at this location to Christians from all over the world.

Everyday I am stunned and humbled by the closeness in proximity to so many ancient sites here, all of which (and these two especially) have had an incredible influence on the course of history and the way people think.

What started as an interest in the modern day Palestinian-Israeli conflict has led me to much more ancient beginnings. To solve a problem, one needs to get to the root of it. The "Middle East Problem" is like a tree with many branches and I'm beginning to realize that its roots extend very, very deep.





(Interesting Fact: These pictures were not taken from my own camera. Upon entering the grounds of the Western Wall from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, tourists are reminded not to use their cameras. Jews revere the Sabbath day so holy that to even cause a piece of electronic equipment to function is considered work. Because of the holiness of the second site, visitors are asked to not take pictures, though many still do.)





7 comments:

elise said...

So, so cool.

Lauren said...

what a great experience this is going to be for you! i think this is awesome and can't wait to hear and see more. love you!!!

e said...

catherine!

I am SO glad you are in jerusalem. I love that part of the world. so much of my experience there is tied together with memories of your sister. I have bookmarked your blog and will check it regularly. live there (once again) vicariously through you!

Please get to know Natalie Ingersoll... she is a fabulous california girl (like you). We were in the same ward for many years in San Juan Capistrano. I think you'll have a few things in common. :)

take care!!
elizabeth (garff) harris

Jeff Parker said...

Thanks so much Catherine for doing this blog. What a great way to let us know what you are doing and thinking. By the way, I thought the Western Wall was not constructed until Herod re-did the temple (so I think the Wall is not much older than Jesus' tomb). Keep looking for humus as good as grandma's -- you won't find it. All my love, DAD

Catherine Parker said...

Thanks fact checker. You're right. Even at 2500 years old, still a lot older than 250 right?

Dianne said...

Hey Sweetie, Imagining you in all these incredible places just makes my heart soar. I know that sounds corny but it's true. I'm your mom; what do your expect! Anyway, keep on soaking up all these amazing experiences you are having. I promise that they will influence the way you look at life forever.

campsmore said...

Catherine, What an amazing blessing you have to be in Jerusalem. I stumbled on your blog purely by accident. I'm a typical mom but very fascinated with the Holy Land.

I came across another blog this morning that actually said he heard there is an excavation going on at the garden tomb. Did you see any evidence of this?

I guess nothing should surprise me, it seems so much is being uncovered there lately.

God's richest blessings on you as you finish your time there.

lori