Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Generation Gap...filled

























The night I left my house in California to eventually come here, I hurriedly scanned some priceless pictures of my dad that illustrate some of his experiences (which are much more expansive than mine) in the Middle East. I'm not sure the story behind his gladiator shot. Mine was taken in Jordan after a Chariot show at the ancient Roman city of Jerash. The second shot commemorates his baptism at the Jordan River. Years later, I was there too. SWEET, huh?

3 comments:

Jeff Parker said...

That is not Roman armor I am wearing, but Arabian armor similar to what was worn by the Arabs during the Crusades. I had it in Baghdad and then it was gone when we moved to the States in 1965 (or did we still have it then and "lost" it in the move to Beirut in 1971?). I still can't get a decent explanation from MY mom and dad of its disappearance. Thanks so much, Catherine, for displaying that MANLY picture of me. All my love, DAD

MaryClaire Brown said...

I love that post. It makes me want to go through all of mom and dad's pictures and scan the important ones onto a cd. Another project for another visit to CA.

veryold said...

I remember so well, the day Jeff was baptized by his father, Orin D. Parker, in the River Jordan and I took the photo. It was a Brother Mickelson from BYU working at the Musa Bey Alami Farm (for Palestinian Boys) that confirmed Jeff and he was given the gift of the Holy Ghost. It was a very special trip and time. I was just one month pregnant with his only brother to be, David C. HOW ABOUT THAT Grandma