Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Gaza Situation - Not Easy

DISCLAIMER: I am very happy with an overwhelming feeling of gratitude for everything I have in my life right now, BUT...

Since I've been here, I haven't exactly woken up with a special hop in my step every morning. I love Jerusalem and appreciate every amazing thing here, but it seems like that peaceful easy feeling (thanks, Eagles) hasn't been there the way I've been so lucky to feel as a free citizen of the United States. After trying to figure out possible explanations for this feeling, I think I've figured out a different answer. The reality of the conflict I am living in the midst of is difficult. I have become so interested in studying the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, but too much of it just makes me sad.

Please look at this article.
And this one.
And this one.

Back to the disclaimer at the beginning, all of this has made me even more grateful for everything I have been given, but as the LDS hymn says: Because I have been given much, I too must give. Last week, I was given lunch by a group of gardeners in Orson Hyde Park. Without question, they fed six hungry students Mansaf, an authentic Jordanian dish, which we ate with our hands. They not only welcomed our presence but invited us back every Thursday for their weekly gatherings. The food was the best meal I've had here. I don't know how much they've been given, but they definitely gave me a lot. Not only food, but friendship.

Now the big question remains, What can I give?

4 comments:

MaryClaire Brown said...

you have such an amazing observant perspective on it all. i need to think on that one. check into setting up some service projects while you're there. i think your interest and concern for it all is actually giving more than you think. however, you can't let it take over and make you too sad! sadness & sorrow doesn't accomplish things, but empathy and compassion does. let it affect you in a positive way...which it sounds like you are.

Lindsy Hartsock said...

I had no idea you were such an amazing writer. I love reading your blog and hearing all about the incredible adventure you are having, thanks for sharing...you are so great!

Bradford said...

"Since 2000, 13 Israelis have been killed by rockets.

On Saturday...the death toll from Israeli air strikes included nine children and three women." 60+ total.

It's just not right.

Bradford said...

Then again it's nothing new:

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/