Monday, March 17, 2008

Palm Sunday in Jerusalem

So apparently the 8 foot palm frond I bought for 10 shekels from a Palestinian boy on my way to the Mt. of Olives merited me and my friend Mark worthy of an EPA press photo covering Palm Sunday. Check out the original picture here. (It is from a news site called monstersandcritics.com) The caption provides a great explanation of Palm Sunday and the other photos in the album give a deeper glimpse into my crowded, sunny, and oh-so-memorable Palm Sunday experience in Jerusalem.

As our large mass of 80 American students walked over the the Mount of Olives, I had no idea what I was getting into. In a land where the most attention is given to conflicting interests of Muslims and Jews, it's easy to forget that Christians also have a large presence here in the Holy Land. Palm Sunday reminded me of that. While it seems that more Jews and Muslims than Christians live here in Jerusalem, I would guess that the most represented religious group of tourists here are Christians.

In addition, the most visited week by Christians to Jerusalem is the week leading up to Easter (aka right now). As I spent four hours walking a path that three days earlier had taken me about 30 minutes, I enjoyed conversation with people from all over the world. Though it was hot and crowded, the overall feeling was a relaxed one of rejoicing. While walking, I passed nuns singing hymns, uniformed Palestinian boy scouts waving flags and several different national groups joining together playing guitars and bongo drums.

The journey which begins at a church on top of the Mount of Olives and passes through the garden of Gethsemane ends at another church just inside the Old City. Here, the celebratory atmosphere continues in the courtyard with more music and mingling. Sharing the same Palm Sunday experience with such an eclectic mix of travelers confirmed once again my appreciation for diversity and also my gratitude for Jesus Christ's example. His golden rule, a simple but under-practiced truth, is reason for a lot of the good we see in the world.

This picture was taken after the procession in the courtyard of St. Anne's church, in front of the pools of Bethesda.






2 comments:

veryold said...

You are building great memories to tell you Grandchildren, Catherine. I love you Grandma

veryold said...

We have just passed Easter Sunday and I am sure you'll NEVER FORGET this Easter you spent in the Holy Land! I know I already made one comment, but each time I look at your Wonderful Blog I can't help but think of the many times I've been lucky to have been there... The Dome of the Rock; the Garden Tomb; The Orson Hyde Monument above the Garden of Gethsemane. All gave me chills, bust especially the year we first drove into Jerusalem the first time from Jordon into Palestine and I got goosepimples all over me to think I was seeing the city of Jerusalem for the first time...the place where Jesus Christ actually walked, talked and taught. Love you Grandma